Monday, March 06, 2006

Making it through.

Yesterday I saw a friend at church. I asked how she was doing and she was honest with me instead of superficial. She's not doing too well, she is exhausted from work, and then I asked how her husband is doing and she sounded tentative, and said that she doesn't think he's doing great either. We arranged a coffee date for today to talk about life or whatever she needs to talk about.

After I got home from church I had a bit of a breakdown because I was already worried about how my other friends are doing, and I'm powerless to do anything to fix the things that are wrong in their lives. I went to bed and cried and prayed for my friends troubles. Even if I'm hurt or angry about how things are, God really is the only one who has the power to change these things, or heal what is broken, or give strength to overcome weakness, or reassure that goodness and righteousness is being restored to the world. And the silent treatment I was giving God, wasn't good for me, and certainly was not helping to change things for the better. Yes, I'm weak and powerless, but even more so when I refuse to pray. That's how my weekend went, it was hard, and I was confronted with my weakness and powerlessness. When I turned to God he gave me the strength and reassurance I needed to continue fighting the battle raging in this world.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You are so awesome, and I know what you have done has made a difference for me.